The planned top and bottom frames were drawn full size on an 8 foot. by 4 foot. by 3/4 inch multi-ply reinforced polished concrete shuttering board. The 1 inch square 18 gauge tubes for the top and bottom frames were all cut by hand to the scaled up dimension from the quarter scale graph sheet drawing , which John had managed to complete; chocked and clamped in position and the joints brazed on three sides of each joint. The top and bottom frames were then turned upside down re-clamped and fourth side brazed. Plates were then marked out in 1/8th inch steel plate drilled and cut out to suit the mounting points on a borrowed brand new dimensionally checked mini front sub frame (Black Lawn Mower midget racer experience). The rear cockpit verticals were then cut, deviously clamped and strutted to maintain true square position whilst being brazed to the bottom frame. A mini sub frame was then positioned and secured in its’ correct running attitude. The chassis sub frame mounting plates were then bolted in place, cutting and welding of the chassis bottom frame to its plates was followed by the top frame to the plates on top of the sub frame and the top of the rear cockpit uprights. The rear frame was temporarily braced diagonally to maintain its rectangular shape.

The next step was to cut and weld the remaining 1 inch square tubes in the cockpit area, followed by all the ¾ inch round 18 gauge diagonals. This was a time consuming difficult part as each tube, not only had to be the correct length, but also angled at each end to take account of the tube angles in the longitudinal vertical plane and the across the chassis vertical plane. It should be born in mind that at this time there was no permanent 3-D jig so that great care was taken with time and temporary jigs in an endeavour to produce the essential of two identical true undistorted chassis.

The first chassis had side body rails, rear body work, nose support frames and a borrowed mini sub frame, together with full size ply-wood formers for all the curved aspects. The formers were scaled up from the model and cut out by a kind local joiner friend Ron Wilkinson. The second chassis consisted of a good but second hand sub frame arrived at Hayselden’s VW outlet and comprehensive garage and workshop in Wath near Sheffield. Fortunately Tom Hayselden, the owner had kindly and courageously offered to provide free workshop space, and preparing and spraying services to assist in completing the aluminium original, in time for the January 1969 Racing Car Show and at minimum cost.